A celebration of the life work of Leslie Lamport, recipient of the 2013 ACM A.M. Turing Award. I did production, direction, editing, voiceover, and most of the shooting. Promoted in the article at http://cacm.acm.org/news/175166-general-agreement/fulltext , and presented at the awards banquet.
A video to accompany this article in CACM. Wrote, produced, and presented.
A done-in-one short video, with minor cutaways. Me giving advice to Oberlin College students on how to get started as a freelancer. Requested by the Oberlin College and Conservatory’s Career Center, and promoted at http://oberlin.edu/career/students/advice_from_alumni.html.
A video to accompany this article of the same name. My first solo video production!
In this course, author Tom Geller explores the process of writing articles and publications for businesses large and small. The course begins with a look at the preparation you’ll need to do, best ways to find assignments, and smart strategies for determining your article approach. Next, the course dives into techniques you can use to brainstorm angles, research, interview experts, finish a piece, and build your portfolio.
In this course, author and seasoned freelancer Tom Geller shows you how to prepare for a transition to freelancing. Begin by taking a look at your career goals, the systems that will support you, and proper ways to plan for success. Find out how to marshal your resources, refine your portfolio for presentation to clients, and estimate your costs to avoid any surprises on the financial front. Plus, discover how to create invoices, manage your books and taxes, expand your client base with marketing, and grow your business.
This course teaches web site designers how to take their sites to the next level with a few advanced techniques and the free and open-source Drupal software. Author Tom Geller shows how to configure the most popular add-on modules; use *nix commands and an FTP program to manage a Drupal site on a web server; change its visual appearance using the latest graphical tools; automate and speed through common tasks with Drush; integrate with social media sites; and see how “supermodules” like Panels, Context, Rules, and Features open up new worlds of code-free development.
Drupal 7 Advanced Training was designed as a follow-up to Drupal 7 Essential Training and it also dovetails nicely with our other Drupal courses, such as Drupal 7 Reporting and Visualizing Data and Create Your First Online Store with Drupal Commerce.
- Moving a site from the development environment to production
- Hosting a Drupal site
- Moving databases with phpMyAdmin and Unix commands
- Making site administration more efficient with Drush
- Backing up site data
- Moderating comments
- Migrating from previous versions of Drupal
- Working with themes
- Creating variable layouts
- Enabling social features
- Creating an online store with Drupal Commerce
Create Your First Online Store with Drupal Commerce shows how to build an online store using Drupal Commerce, a set of modules that extend Drupal. The course demonstrates the basics of configuring a store, processing a payment, and charging for shipping and taxes, as well as creating, displaying, and categorizing products. The course also explains how to integrate a store into a Drupal site, customize a store’s appearance, and increase site traffic using search engine optimization (SEO) techniques. Exercise files accompany the course.
- Surveying the store-building process
- Installing Drupal Commerce using Commerce Kickstart
- Accepting PayPal payments
- Processing orders
- Understanding rules and line items
- Listing and importing products
- Managing inventory, orders, and customer profiles
- Streamlining the checkout process
- Launching a store
- Offering product discounts
- Analyzing site traffic with Google Analytics
This course demonstrates how to use the Views module and other add-ons in Drupal to present dynamic, data-rich content. The course examines several real-world examples of effective data visualization and describes the Drupal data-storage model. The course also shows how to create, format, and style views; control access to data; improve data administration with Views Bulk Operations; and display content as custom maps and slide shows. Exercise files accompany the course.
- Planning the data structure of a site
- Creating record templates with custom field types
- Connecting fields using references
- Sorting and filtering data
- Varying how a view appears in different displays
- Formatting views with grid, list, table, and jump
- Creating multi-part views using attachments
- Importing and exporting views
- Extending views with relationships
- Understanding and using location data
- Exporting data
Over seven hours of video training that shows how to get the most out of Drupal, the content management system (CMS) that powers over a quarter million web sites. The course demonstrates how to download and install Drupal, add content and graphics to a site, change layout and design elements, control visitor interactions, and expand the site’s capabilities beyond what’s available in Drupal core. Discussion of established best practices in each step to ensure that a site remains streamlined, secure, and up-to-date. Exercise files are included with the course.
- Comparing Drupal with other content management systems
- Understanding nodes
- Creating basic content
- Adding blogs, discussions groups, and polls
- Subscribing to RSS feeds
- Creating new content types
- Managing users, roles, and permissions
- Creating and modifying block regions
- Adding menus
- Extending site capabilities with modules